Monday, April 26, 2004

The Fog of War

If you haven't already seen "The Fog of War" directed by Errol Morris, I recommend it. On the Morris website the front page states the film is a "disquieting and powerful essay on war, rationality, and human nature." What amazed me as I watched it was McNamara's devotion to duty and hierarchy, scientific knowledge through statistics, and profit as the president of the Ford Motor Co. (the classic modern man - Weber would be mesmerized) even as he noted that a Soviet underling's hesitation may have made all the difference in nuclear war. Powerful essay on war, yes, rationality, only the irrationality of a "rational" being or being rational, and human nature, I think not.

To update my previous post on the pictures of soldiers' coffins. You can go to TheMemoryHole.org to see the pictures and other information the public did not previously have access to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home