Sunday, September 19, 2004

Soldier Demography

I've been wanting some statistics on the soldiers in Iraq. Since I'm working on my dissertation proposal, I don't have time to search for the data.

So, somebody looking for a paper to write for stats, or an op-ed to write (maybe if you get some really interesting results a paper to publish), I'm interested in the soldiers over there. What percent are career? What percent are citizen-soldiers, like National Guard? What's the racial, gender, socio-economic breakdowns? What are their ages? What percent are from rural, suburban, urban areas? Here's what I'm especially interested in knowing: What's the demographic profile of those dying? Who's getting injured? Is there a significant pattern? Then, all these same statistics run for the one's doing the war-making decisions, for a nice juxtaposition. My hypothesis is that there is a disproportionate number of rural Guardspersons dying. The juxtaposition would just highlight the obvious class issues. Also, I'd venture that there is a disproportionate number of persons of color represented the deaths compared to the entire population.

I would have a lot more questions to throw out if I had some numbers to look at. I'd be happy to share them if anyone would like to take this up. If I was teaching a stats class, I'd make this the class project, if the data was available and doesn't it have to be somewhere?

3 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger tina said...

I'd be really surprised if it wasn't the case that a disproportionate number of deaths was people of color, since the armed forces tend to recruit more poor and working class youth.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Exactly. Knowing this for sure could help people understand the class issue concretely, especially if it is a disproportionate number of people of color and rural whites bearing the burden of the war. Onward demographers!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Goesh said...

I think it was last week's Time magazine that had a partial breakdown on the stats you are interested in, though not some of the specifics you want. I seem to recall that about 80+ percent of the KIAs are from the regular Army forces, and not the Guard. I seem to recall that about 30% of the KIAs are Blacks, but don't quote me on this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home