Friday, November 12, 2004

Hail, Instructors!

I have a new found respect for instructors who come up with their own lectures for multiple classes a week. I guess lectured for the first time, coming up with my own lecture notes anyway, yesterday. It was a good experience and fun, but it took me many hours to come up with a 1 hour lecture! How do you people do it and get anything else done? I've been in my comfortable teaching assistant role, where I just explain everything the second time. Lecturing from your own notes is a whole different story. My respects to you instructors.

The class I lectured for was sociological theory. I covered Anna Julia Cooper and Ida B. Wells-Barnett, two of the more inspiring sociological analysts for me. Here is a quote from Cooper I shared with the class.

“Progressive peace in a nation is the result of conflict; and conflict, such as is healthy, stimulating, and progressive, is produced through the co-existence of radically opposing or radically different elements” (Cooper 1892).


I take solace from her words given the apparent cultural and political divides we're experiencing today.

3 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Drek said...

Well, three things help with the lecturing:

(1) Teaching something you really like. Whenever I get to cover material I'm into personally, it's easier to fill the time.

(2) Planning lectures in advance, preferrably a few weeks in advance. As you get closer you have the flexibility to add and flesh-out.

(3) Guest-lecturing is harder than teaching the class yourself. When you're the teacher you have a relationship with the students. When you guest-lecture, all you have is the material.

Keep it up, Erin. Teaching is like riding a bicycle: after a while you either learn to do it, or get used to falling off.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Brayden said...

Teaching a course for the first time is always more difficult than teaching a course that you've done before. Lectures become more routinized, which saves you a lot of time.

I'd like to say that I'm equally conscientious for every lecture, but I have to admit that I do a lot of satisficing. Trying to write a dissertation at the same time I'm teaching a class can be challenging.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Thanks for the advice Drek. I know you instructors work hard, especially when teaching the first time, like you mentioned Brayden. So just plan on your first semester teaching not to get anything else done? Good to know. I guess when you get hired they want you to be able to teach a class right away, so you have one already prepared. That's good, so you can try to get something published quickly once you start, preferably from one of the big three. No rest for the weary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home