Tuesday, November 30, 2004

More On Casualties: Paris, IL

My hometown made the CBS Evening News for the same reason it's been making news other places, citizen-soldiers dying. Here is the internet version of the story.

The clips they showed on CBS presented the "quaint" little downtown. But they failed to show the downtown shops--they only showed the signs above--out of business, vacated, or the 24-hour Super(!)Walmart that helped put them out of business.

Why would they tell the story of how half of all the deaths for Illinois have come from the Paris National Guard unit, the 1544th Transportation Company, and not show the struggling economy of the community, in fact specifically obscure it. Why does being "quaint" trump economic hardship? Is it easier to sympathize with a "quaint" "all-American" town, than a struggling small community? I guess. I doubt most of them want sympathy. They want their kids and partners home, or they are the "superpatriots" who whill sacrifice everything willingly.

Although Paris is rural, the mayor was quoted as saying it was time for the 1544th, noncombat unit, to come home. They are transportation.

Update: To find the actual story you have to search for Paris at CBS News

7 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Blogger Frank said...

Thanks for the info, I added you to my favorites.

If you are interested in business help own start I have a business help own start site.

Feel free to drop by and tell me what you think.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Frank said...

Thanks for the info, I added you to my favorites.

If you are interested in business help own start I have a business help own start site.

Feel free to drop by and tell me what you think.

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link to !!network marketing mlm home business

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger blaze said...

You have a very good site on business home small This is something I also have a large interest in and have set up a blog about business home small please visit and let me know what you think.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger jobs123 said...

Hey nice blog! I just want you too know that I have a montauk motel blog/sie too!
It's a free information web site for discount hotel rooms!
It can help you save big on your next trip!
You should check it out if you get a chance :-)

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger stony said...

Great Blog! I have a make money related site. Maybe you have a look.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Marketing information.

Advanced Business Marketing

More business marketing information you can use.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home