Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Perspective

Breathe out the panic. Now, breathe in calm. Repeat…over and over until the shallow, hard-to-breathe feeling resembling a panic attack is over.

We all deserve hand wringing and some panic. The bleakness of what appears to be a GOP takeover will be hard for people to take, especially when they start making policy. But after we have sufficiently indulged ourselves in despair, we have to get some perspective. If we all move to Canada who is going to clean up this mess? Are we just going to leave it for the most vulnerable populations to take?

We're going to have to make sure they (the people apparently still in control) can't shut us up in the name of falsely "uniting the country." I think the best course of action is a stance where we start defining the debates based on our critiques of the facts of bigoted policies that hinder the rights of our fellow citizens, policies that increasingly make the most vulnerable even worse off, and try to stay focused (as hard as it will be for me) leaving Bush's personal idiocy aside.

It’s time to raise hell (i.e. help people think critically by looking at facts). Maybe we can seriously mobilize those who still see hypocrisy as problematic and those who will be most affected by this election (especially those who voted against their own economic interests). This is still our government, governing in our name. Our voices have to be heard. Voter turnout was in record numbers (conservatives apparently came out in droves). The student vote was way up, which is encouraging; our students were taking a stand. We have Obama (a classic Weberian charismatic leader and force to be reckoned with) from IL and Salazar from CO.

I still am open to more suggestions on novels whose reality to which I can periodically escape. We have to remember to breathe, and help each other through these next four years.

3 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger heather said...

Well stated Erin. The past two days I've been walking around in shock but this morning brought about a new clarity. Here is my message to W: You f**k with abortion, I'll be there (and I'm not alone). You try to put a constitutional ban on gay marriage, I'll be there. You try to push any type of right wing faith based initiatiave that is going to take away my personal liberties - you bet your a** I'll be there - oh and I won't be silent. Our country was built on free speech and I will exercise it until you can't stand it anymore.
Enjoy the next four years - I know I'll never be bored.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

I'm with you Heather. I am not usually the fly to Washington and protest type, but you better believe I will when it comes down to abortion (which I see as a women's rights issue). We've come too far to start backtracking now!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I hear a little "Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights" playing in the background. Wouldn't it be cool if blogs could start music playing when you entered the page? I bet there is a way, but I don't how.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home