Thursday, April 14, 2005

Desperation: Attempts for Attention

Here's (Democratic Underground Forums - College Conservatives raffle off an assault rifle) a discussion undergrads are having on this issue. I didn't realize The Observer was in such need for funds. They know how to get attention.

I love the picture of Marx on the upper left side of the forum. This conservative journal has accused a sociologist of being a Marxist. So funny, as if that is an insult, even though it wasn't correct.

UPDATE: I walked by the protest/raffle. It was a great mix of protesters. While I was walking by, the guy with the microphone said he didn't think the feminists with posters (men too) were really feminists, if they were...you know the argument already. The chanting got louder. I'm sure there were more protesters than those from an explicitly feminist persuasion, but I didn't have time to read all the posters as I had to meet a student. I saw one of my former students, too.

UPDATE 2: The argument that increased gun-ownership reduces crime is a fallacy as Brayden points out on Pub Sociology. Kieran also points to Tim Lambert's discussions on this issue, who has contributed to the methodological shredding of the research supporting this thesis.

1 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Goesh said...

FYI: An aside, and you may already be aware of it, but oral arguments are in progress in the U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. District in the Harjo et al. V Pro-Football, Inc. over the use of "Redskins" as a team name. Indian Country Today had a report on this and it said it will be 3-4 months before there is a ruling. This one could really 'ripple out' if it goes in favor of Harjo et al.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home