Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich and Reproductive Politics

Blagojevich took a stand against health care discrimination. Great! I can still get birth control without a pharmacist refusing to fill my doctor's prescription.* We aren't a theocratic "handmaid's" nightmare, yet!

* However, my not having babies is the cause of much of my family's displeasure (mostly cousins who pepper me with baby questions, attempts at guilt trips, biological clock talk, etc, to the point where I just say I'm not having kids p-e-r-i-o-d. I won't say how young I am (you might not take me seriously anymore;-), but I'm fairly young with plenty of time to be child-free.) This isn't even the Catholic side of the family.** They are pretty reasonable and stay out of my business.
UPDATE**As a footnote to my footnote, I should point out that when I was married (really young) in the Catholic church I signed some paper (knowing full well I wouldn't do one of these and maybe I wouldn't do either) saying I would have kids and that I'd raise them Catholic. I thought for sure, if there is a hell, I'm going. Catholic Guilt! Maybe I'll see you there; we'll chat.

2 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

I can't help but wonder if pharmacists with strong religious beliefs refuse to fill other types of prescriptions as well as BC. Accutane (a popular and very strong acne drug) causes birth defects. Or how about pain killers? Morphine comes to mind, considering that in high doses it can be lethal. Do pharmacists who disagree with euthanasia refuse to sell morphine? I wonder if this also has to do with gender and power. Are these pharmacists standing in the way of a woman's right to control her own body and fertility? Do they refuse to sell condoms too? How about women who are on the pill for medical reasons (and there are a lot of them)? I was also pleased to hear that Blagojevich took a stand on this issue. Although, I took comfort in the fact that I was sure large corporate pharmacies (Walgreens comes to mind) would never allow pharmacists to refuse to dispense anything, especially something as lucrative as the BC pill. Don't underestimate the power of the almighty dollar....

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Fred Vincy said...

Carolyn,

I started to respond and then realized it would be hugely long and (hopefully) of more general interest, so I responded here:

"Conscience is but a word that cowards use....", Pro-Choice ... For Pharmacists ... Edition

 

Post a Comment

<< Home