Friday, May 20, 2005

Musical Batons

Something to post for fun? Sure, I'll play (after some technical difficulties with Mozilla). Brayden passed on this musical baton, which I accept in the spirit of TGIF.

Total volume of music on my computer: Right now, 15.82GB. Some CD's still aren't in the library, but my most precious albums are of course. Like Tina, I'm kind of surprised I have more than the AZ boys. In all fairness, some of this music is the likes of Tom Waits and The Bottle Rockets. These are not mine, but T and I share iTunes.

Last CD I bought: Aimee Mann, The Forgotten Arm (a couple weeks after T gave me Kathleen Edwards, Back to Me: so awesome it's worth mentioning here).The Forgotten Arm is a story. Classic Aimee.

Song playing right now: "You've Had It With You," Paul Westerberg (iTunes shuffle selection)

Five Songs I Listen to A Lot, Or That Mean A Lot To Me: This is going to be a mix of most listened to music and my therapy.

1. "Rowing Song," Patty Griffin, Impossible Dreamers. We just saw her in St. Louis in April at The Pageant--an amazing venue--at the opening show of her current tour. She's so tiny and has this huge voice. I want to be Patty's friend. We'd have great conversations.sigh.

2. "Good Things," Kathleen Edwards, Back To Me.

3. "We are Nowhere and it's Now," Bright Eyes, I'm Wide Awake It's Morning. Because we are nowhere and it's now, sometimes.

4. "Bring the Funk," Ben Harper, Diamonds on the Inside. Because Ben Harper is hot, and because sometimes we need to get out from the desk and dance.

5. "If You Knew," Neko Case, The Tigers Have Spoken. Neko is coming to Champaign in June and we're definitely going!

Five People to whom I'm passing the baton:

*Carolyn
*Anne
*Heather
*Laura
*Kareem

All from Prairie.

7 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don’t know how to to pass this on, so I think I’ll just talk about about myself and leave it at that. As a personal favor to Erin, of course :)

Total volume of music on my computer: Right now, 0 gb, kb, mb whatever. What’s an ipod anyway? itunes? I’m keepin’ it real with my 2000 sony mini-boom box.

Last CD I bought: Old Crow Medicine Show, O.C.M.S

Song playing right now: Nina Simone’s Touble in Mind.

Five Songs I Listen to A Lot, Or That Mean A Lot To Me:

1. “Simply Beautiful” Al Green. Because it makes me feel simply beautiful.

2. All tracks on Roger Waters, Amused to Death. Because we need to be reminded of the increasingly successful efforts to build images of warfare into a central form of Western entertainment. Sometimes it’s good to be angry. I implore all Pink Floyd fans – especially those who appreciated The Wall – to buy this album if you haven’t yet. You won’t regret it.

3. “Higher Ground” Stevie Wonder. Because it elevates me to a (higher) ground on which there’s no room for my menagerie of dust bunnies (yes, the funk motivates me to clean my nasty floors). Not to mention it’s good for moving the junk in the trunk.

4. “Carey” Joni Mitchell. There’s no ‘because’ neceassry here. My love for Joni has nothing to do with anyone else.

5. “Wagon Wheel” Old Crow Medicine Show/Bob Dylan hybrid. Because fiddlers do it for me.

Annie

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Ohhh, music, wonderful...

Total volume of music on my computer: I have actually deleted off a lot of MP3s and saved them on CD, since I have so many. But my iPod has around 2,000 songs.

Last CD I bought: Two at once: Beck, "Guero", which is awesome. Beck is a genius. And Kelly Clarkson, "Breakaway". Now, I have to say that I am not really a pop music fan, but I'm healing from a very long drawn out breakup, and Kelly was just what I needed.

Song playing right now: Nothing right now, but I just drove home to CT from Boston, and I listened to Jack Johnson, Guster, Dave Matthews, and Led Zeppelin

Five Songs I Listen to A Lot, Or That Mean A Lot To Me: This changes a lot for me, but this is the most recent list.

1. "Since I've Been Loving You" - Led Zeppelin III. This song is so bluesy and sexy. Its why I am so in love with a band that existed before I was even born!!!

2. "Both Sides Now" - Joni Mitchell. This song is in "Love Actually". I don't know much about Joni, but its just such a beautiful song. Like "cry your eyes out" beautiful.

3. "The Dangling Conversation" - Simon and Garfunkel. We've all been there...

4. "So Unsexy" - Alanis Morrisette. How do you get in my head Alanis?

5. "Careful Where You Stand" - Coldplay. Another gorgeous song, never released on an album. I think its on a live album or b-side.


Ohhh, can I have one more? Natalie Merchant "Seven Years". I have a live version, and its unbelieveable!!

What a fun game...

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger laura said...

Total volume of music on my computer: Not much - I prefer listening via my stereo (better sound).
Last CD I bought: Nickel Creek Nickel Creek (oh, okay, and at the same time I bought Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell).
Song playing right now: Peter Paul & Mary: Judgement Day
Five Songs I Listen to A Lot, Or That Mean A Lot To Me:
Only five? I'll have to list by situation:
For studying or writing: Gipsy Kings (any) because it's lively and I don't speak Spanish well enough to be distracted by the words;
For -ugh- housework: the Good Morning Vietnam or Godspell soundtracks;
For wailing and gnashing of teeth: Sweet Honey in the Rock's Motherless Child;
For background music for entertaining: anything from B.B. King's Deuces Wild or Lyle Lovett and his Large Band;
For fun: Dixie Chicks - Sin Wagon

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger jasmine said...

Great work on your blog - it was very enlightening. You've got a lot of useful info on there about Kelly Clarkson so I've bookmarked your site so I don't lose it. I'm doing a lot of research on Kelly Clarkson Exposed and have just started a new blog - I'd really appreciate your comments

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger 7472 said...

Alot of interesting comments on this blog, I was searching for some doctor related info and some how cam across this site. I found it pretty cool, so I bookmarked. I'll really liked the second post on the front page, that got my attention.

My site is in a bit different area, but just as useful. I have a mens male enhancement reviews related site focusing on mens male enhancement reviews and mens health related topics.

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check our link of computer chair.

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help! I am lost. I was searching for game site and somehow ended up here. How that happened I don't know, however I do like your Blog a lot. Would you mind if I add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home